Enrollment at Helix Charter High School
Enrollment for the 2024-2025 school year will open Monday, January 8, 2024 and will close March 1, 2024. You can apply using the link below anytime during that time period. Results will be emailed on Friday, March 8, 2024.
We are a charter school, so ALL new students must go through the lottery process. Please see below for the 2-step enrollment process.
Step 1 - Watch the Enrollment Informational Video
Is Helix the right school for your student? Register for a tour here or watch the video below, which covers the requirements for Helix students & explains the lottery process. This is an important and required step before you apply.
After viewing the video, you should understand the lottery priorities:
1. Siblings of returning students
2. Residents in the attendance boundary of Helix High School (see SEARCHABLE BOUNDARY MAP). The boundaries set by the Grossmont Union High School District do not apply to Helix, as we have our own attendance area, which may overlap some GUHSD schools' attendance areas. Regardless of which school is your "neighborhood school" as determined by the local school districts, families may choose to attend Helix.
3. Children of employees
4. Students who make a two-year commitment to be in the Bagpipe program. They must be fully committed and attend an informational meeting with the band director to determine if they are a good fit. You and your student must attend one to be considered. Anyone who selects the bagpipes on their application will be notified of the dates via email.
5. Students who reside in the Grossmont Union High School District attendance boundaries will be provided a 60% weighted preference and all other student applicants will be provided a 40% weighted preference.
Step 2 - Submit a SchoolMint Application:
Create a SchoolMint account by visiting helixcharter.schoolmint.net/signup. You must complete your application anytime between January 8, 2024 - March 1, 2024. Click here for more information on uploading documentation or see the graphic below. The deadline to submit your application is March 1, 2024.
The lottery will be held electronically and results will be announced via email on Friday, March 8, by the end of the day. Applications will be considered by grade level. If there are enough open seats for prospective students at a given grade level, all students at that grade level will be granted enrollment. If there are more prospective students than openings at a given grade level, a waitlist will be created. Students whose applications are submitted after the deadline will be placed on the waitlist in the order in which their application is received.
If your student is accepted, you will receive an email with instructions for logging into your SchoolMint Account to accept or withdraw your application. If you accept, you are committing to the following next steps, which we will contact you about:
- Student Orientation On-Campus
- Online Enrollment
- Summer Conferencing On-Campus
You will receive an email from SchoolMint advising of your waitlisted status. If your status moves to accepted, you will receive another email. This may happen as seats will open.
- Calling, emailing or coming to campus is not necessary to inform the team of your desire to attend Helix.
- All students will be admitted in the order of lottery results.
- Moving into the area after you have been placed on the waitlist will not alter your placement.
Prepare to be inspired! This tour will give you a look inside all of the innovative programs we offer at Helix and how we went from being one of the lower performing schools in the district to becoming a National Blue Ribbon School and one of the top-rated schools in the state of California.
The '23-'24 campus tour schedule is below, PLEASE REGISTER USING THIS LINK. We will send a confirmation one week prior to the tour with more details.
All tours will take place in the Helix library. You can park in the large solar parking lot at 4200 Lowell St. and walk past the gym and pool toward the middle of campus. The library is located in building 300, near the lunch tables. Out of respect for the time of those who attend, the program will start right on time and will last one hour. You are welcome to arrive 10-15 minutes early. We will send a confirmation email a week prior. Students are welcome to attend the tour if they'd like. If you have questions about the tour, please email Lauren Knuth, Community Relations & Engagement Coordinator KNUTH@HELIXCHARTER.NET.
- Tuesday, Dec 12 at 6pm - FULL
- Wednesday Dec 13 at 9am - FULL
- Thursday, Dec. 14 at 6pm - After the tour, you can join us for the Winter Concert if interested. Buy tickets ahead of time here.
- Monday, Dec 18 at 6pm - FULL
- Wednesday, Jan 10 at 9am
- Tuesday, Jan. 16 at 6pm
- Tuesday, Jan. 23 at 9am
- Tues, Feb. 6 at 6pm
- Wednesday, Feb 14 at 9am
- Tuesday, Feb. 20 at 6pm
- Wednesday, Feb. 28 at 9am
- Wednesday, March 13 at 9am
- Tuesday, April 23 at 6pm
- Wednesday, May 15 at 9am
- Tuesday, May 21 at 6pm