Enrollment at Helix Charter High School
The '23 - '24 school year enrollment period is now closed. If you would still like to apply, please follow the process outlined below and your application will be added to the waitlist in the order it was received.
We are a charter school, so ALL new students must go through the lottery process, which is now open and closes on March 1, 2023 at 3pm. Please see below for the 2-step process to enroll in the 2023 - 2024 school year.
Step 1 - Watch the Enrollment Informational Video
Is Helix the right school for your student? Watch the video below, which covers the requirements for Helix students & explains the lottery process. This is an important and required step before you apply.
After viewing the video, you should understand the lottery priorities:Enrollment at Helix Charter High School is open to any student in grades 9-12. Only new students need to participate in the lottery, which is done online, through our website. Lottery priorities are as follows:
1. Siblings of returning students
2. Residents in the attendance boundary of Helix High School (see SEARCHABLE BOUNDARY MAP). The boundaries set by the Grossmont Union High School District do not apply to Helix, as we have our own attendance area, which may overlap some GUHSD schools' attendance areas. Regardless of which school is your "neighborhood school" as determined by the local school districts, families may choose to attend Helix.
3. Children of employees
4. Students who make a two-year commitment to be in the Bagpipe program. They must be fully committed and attend an informational meeting with the band director to determine if they are a good fit. The meetings will be held on Tuesday, January 31 and Wednesday, February 22 at 6:00 p.m. in the Helix Library. You and your student must attend one to be considered. Please register for the meeting you are able to attend here. Anyone who selects the bagpipes on their application will be notified of the dates via email.
5. Students who reside in the Grossmont Union High School District attendance boundaries will be provided a 60% weighted preference and all other student applicants will be provided a 40% weighted preference.
Step 2 - Submit a SchoolMint Application:
Create a SchoolMint account by visiting https://helixcharter.schoolmint.net/signup. You must complete your application anytime between January 5, 2023 - March 1, 2023 at 3:00 p.m. Click here for more information on uploading documentation or see the graphic below. The deadline to submit your application is March 1, 2023 at 3:00 p.m.
The lottery will be held electronically and results will be announced via email on Friday, March 10, by the end of the day. Applications will be considered by grade level. If there are enough open seats for prospective students at a given grade level, all students at that grade level will be granted enrollment. If there are more prospective students than openings at a given grade level, a waitlist will be created. Students whose applications are submitted after the deadline will be placed on the waitlist in the order in which their application is received.
If your student is accepted, you will receive an email with instructions for logging into your SchoolMint Account to accept or withdraw your applicaiton. If you accept, you are committing to the following next steps, which we will contact you about:
- Student Orientation On-Campus
- Online Enrollment
- Summer Conferencing On-Campus
You will receive an email from SchoolMint advising of your waitlisted status. If your status moves to accepted, you will receive another email. This may happen as seats will open.
- Calling, emailing or coming to campus is not necessary to inform the team of your desire to attend Helix.
- All students will be admitted in the order of lottery results.
- Moving into the area after you have been placed on the waitlist will not alter your placement.
Still have questions? Check out the FAQ document here.
If you still have questions after reading through the FAQ document, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prepare to be inspired! This tour will give you a look inside all of the innovative programs we offer at Helix and how we went from being one of the lower performing schools in the district to becoming a National Blue Ribbon School and one of the top rated schools in the state of California.The Spring '23 Campus tour schedule is:
All tours will take place in the Helix library. You can park in the large solar parking lot at 4200 Lowell St. and walk past the gym and pool toward the middle of campus. The library is located in building 300, near the lunch tables. Out of respect for the time of those who attend, the program will start right on time and will last one hour. You are welcome to arrive 10-15 minutes early. We will send a confirmation email a few days beforehand. If you have questions about the tour, please email Lauren Knuth, Community Relations & Engagement Coordinator KNUTH@HELIXCHARTER.NET.
- Friday, March 31 at 9am
- Friday, April 28 at 9am
- Friday, May 26 at 9am