Entrance into Helix Charter High School
Enrollment at Helix Charter High School is open to any student in grades 9-12. The boundaries set by the Grossmont Union High School District do not apply to Helix, as we have our own attendance area, which may overlap some GUHSD schools' attendance areas. Regardless of which school is your "neighborhood school" as determined by the local school districts, families may choose to attend Helix. Use our searchable boundary map to help you determine if you reside within the traditional Helix boundaries.Our lottery is held every March for the following year's enrollment. Only new students need to participate in the Lottery.Applications for the 2022-23 school year must be submitted before March of 2023 (date and time to be announced shortly) to be entered in the lottery. Students whose applications are submitted after the deadline will be placed on the waitlist in the order in which their application is received.
How It Works
Applications will be considered by grade level. If there are enough open seats for prospective students at a given grade level, all students at that grade level will be granted enrollment. If there are more prospective students than openings at a given grade level, a waitlist will be created for that grade level.
Required Informational Meetings
All applicants must attend an informational meeting. In this webinar, we'll cover our academic rigor, support systems, and student expectations. You'll learn about our academic, athletic, and arts programs. And lastly, we will explain the lottery process. The 2023-2024 school year information meetings will be held in January 2023. Meeting schedule to be announced shortly.
Applications are due in March, 2023. The Lottery will occur in mid-March, and results will be made available via email by end of day.
1. Siblings of returning students
2. Residents in the attendance boundary of Helix High School (see searchable boundary map)
3. Children of employees
4. Students who make a two-year commitment to be in the Bagpipe program
5. Students who reside in the Grossmont Union High School District attendance boundaries will be provided a 60% weighted preference and all other student applicants will be provided a 40% weighted preference.
See the Enrollment Frequently Asked Questions document below.
2022-2023 Helix Online Intent to Enroll Application Instructions
Below you will find information regarding how to use our online Intent to Enroll/Lottery Application System: SchoolMint. Be aware that you need to enter only one parent/guardian's contact information to set up an account before you can enter your student's information.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLYING TO HELIX APPLICATION SYSTEM*:
- Go to helixcharter.schoolmint.net/signup and enter your email address and create a password to create your account.
- Enter your contact information including your current residence and the current residence of your student as instructed. You must enter an active email address as this will be used to communicate with you during the application process.
- Once you have submitted your student's application, you should receive a confirmation email.
- GETTING HELP:
- Uploading Documents 101
- Questions about what information to put in the application: Contact the Class of 2027 Grade Level Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website technical issues: Contact email@example.com or call (855) 957-3535 and press 1 for family support or go to www.schoolmint.com/families-support/
*If you have used SchoolMint before and you already have an account. In this case, you need to click on the "Log in" link below Sign up.
After you've watched the Information Webinar and completed the "Intent to Enroll/Application" form, here's what's next:
- March: Lottery will be held and our Grade Level will be filled as follows:
- 1st Priority: Siblings of Current Helix Students in grades 9, 10, 11
- 2nd Priority: Residents of the former Helix High School attendance area (Refer to Boundary Map on Helix Website)
- 3rd Priority: Children of Helix Employees
- 4th Priority: Students who make a two-year commitment to be in the Bagpipe program (limited spaces available)
- 5th Priority: Students who reside in the GUHSD attendance boundaries will be provided a 60% weighted preference and all other student applicants will be provided a 40% weighted preference.
- March: All families will be notified via email of the lottery outcome. This email will indicate one of the following:
- Acceptance to Helix - You will receive an email containing a Webinar recording which will walk you through the Family Orientation and Enrollment process.
- Waitlist - If there are more prospective students than available spots, these students will be placed on a waitlist.
- NOTE: The waitlist will continue with the same priority order as listed above. If seats become available, students from the waitlist will be offered the opportunity to enroll, in the order in which they appear on the waitlist.
Incoming 9th Grade questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Incoming 10th-12th Grade students:
- Complete the online "Intent to Enroll/Application" by March 4th.
- Availability will be based on the number of open seats per grade level.
- Grade Level Teams will contact families as seats become available.
Q & A Sessions
We will be hosting two Q & A sessions in the month of January to answer any questions you may have after watching the informational meeting.
Please submit any questions you may have to the following link: https://bit.ly/2026qa or by utilizing the question box below.
Both Q & A sessions will take place from 6:01 pm- 7:01 pm and attendance is optional.