Computer & Internet Ethics
- Internet access and Electronic Mail (E-Mail) are available to students and staff at Helix Charter High School. We believe the Internet offers vast, diverse, and unique resources to both students and teachers. Our goal in providing this service is to promote educational excellence by facilitating resource sharing, innovation, and communication.
- Helix Charter High School does not have control of the information on the Internet and E-Mail, although it attempts to provide prudent and available barriers. Other sites accessible via the Internet may contain material that is illegal, defamatory, inaccurate, or potentially offensive to some people.
- While Helix Charter High School’s intent is to make Internet access and E-Mail available to further educational goals and objectives, account users will have the ability to access other material as well. Ultimately, parents and guardians of minors are responsible for setting and conveying the standards that their children should follow when using media and information sources.
- Individual users of Helix Charter High School computer networks are responsible for their behavior and communications over those networks. It is presumed that users will comply with Helix Charter High School standards and will honor the agreements they have signed.
- Network storage areas may be treated like school lockers. Network administrators may review files and communications to maintain system integrity and insure that users are using the system responsibly. Users should not expect that files stored on Helix Charter High School servers will be private.
- Within reason, freedom of speech and access to information will be honored. During school, teachers will guide students toward appropriate materials. Outside of school, families bear the same responsibility for such guidance with information sources such as television, telephones, movies, radio, and other potentially offensive media.
- Individual users of the Internet are expected to abide by the generally accepted rules of network etiquette. The student and his/her parent(s) or guardian(s) must understand that student access to our Network is being developed to support our educational responsibilities and mission. The specific conditions and services begin offered will change from time to time.
All students accessing the Internet and/or E-Mail agree to the following:
- My use of the Helix Charter High School’s Network must be consistent with the Helix Charter High School’s primary goals.
- I will not use the Helix Charter High School’s Network for illegal purposes of any kind.
- I will not use the Helix Charter High School’s Network to transmit threatening, obscene or harassing materials.
- I will not use the Helix Charter High School’s Network to interfere or disrupt network users, services or equipment. (Trustworthiness)
Any violations may include but are not limited to: Suspension of Internet access; Revocation of Internet access; Suspension of Network privileges; Revocation of Network privileges; Suspension of computer access; Revocation of computer access; School suspension; School expulsion; Legal action and prosecution by the authorities.