Enrollment Process at Helix Charter High School
We are a charter school, so ALL new students must go through the lottery process, which opens on January 5, 2023, and ends March 1, 2023. Please see below for the 4-step process in order to enroll in the 2023- 2024 school year.
REQUIRED: Step 1 - Watch the Lottery / Enrollment Informational Video (updated video for 2023 - 2024 school year will be posted by January 5th, 2023):
Is Helix the right school for your student? Watch the webinar below, which covers the requirements for Helix students & explains the lottery process. This is an important and required step before you apply.
After viewing the video, you should understand the lottery priorities:Enrollment at Helix Charter High School is open to any student in grades 9-12. Only new students need to participate in the lottery, which is done online, through our website. Lottery priorities are as follows:
1. Siblings of returning students
2. Residents in the attendance boundary of Helix High School (see SEARCHABLE BOUNDARY MAP). The boundaries set by the Grossmont Union High School District do not apply to Helix, as we have our own attendance area, which may overlap some GUHSD schools' attendance areas. Regardless of which school is your "neighborhood school" as determined by the local school districts, families may choose to attend Helix.
3. Children of employees
4. Students who make a two-year commitment to be in the Bagpipe program
5. Students who reside in the Grossmont Union High School District attendance boundaries will be provided a 60% weighted preference and all other student applicants will be provided a 40% weighted preference.
Step 2 - Submit a SchoolMint Application:
Starting on January 5, 2023, create a SchoolMint account through the link shown in the Enrollment / Lottery Video above. You must complete your application anytime between January 5, 2023 - March 1, 2023. The deadline to submit your application is March 1, 2023. Applications will be considered by grade level. If there are enough open seats for prospective students at a given grade level, all students at that grade level will be granted enrollment. If there are more prospective students than openings at a given grade level, a waitlist will be created for that grade level. Students whose applications are submitted after the deadline will be placed on the waitlist in the order in which their application is received.
Step 3 - Lottery Results:
The lottery will be held electronically on March 8, 2023, and results will be announced via email by Friday, March 10, by the end of the day.
Still have questions? Check out our Enrollment FAQ document here.
If your student is accepted, you must log into your SchoolMint Account to accept or withdraw your application. If you accept, you are committed to the following next steps:
- Student Orientation On-Campus
- Online Enrollment
- Summer Conferencing On-Campus
Log into your Schoolmint account to view your waitlist placement. Do this periodically, as others withdraw applications, seats will open and offers will occur.
- Calling, emailing or coming to campus is not necessary to inform the team of your desire to attend Helix.
- All students will be admitted in the order of lottery results.
- Moving into the area after you have been placed on the waitlist will not alter your placement.
Campus Tours and Q & A Sessions
Campus tours are for prospective parents / guardians and students if desired. Please bring no more than 3 people (up to 2 parents / guardians per prospective student). Accepted students will have many opportunities to come on camps before their school year starts. Registration is required here.
Friday, Dec.16 at 9:00 am
- Tuesday, Jan. 10 at 5:30 pm
- Wednesday, Jan. 11 at 9:00 am
Friday, Jan. 20 at 9:00 am
Wed, Feb. 1 at 9:00 am
- Friday, Feb. 3 at 9:00 am
- Thursday, Jan. 26 at 9:00 a.m. - ONLY FOR STUDENTS WITH IEPs*
*We will hold an informational meeting for students who have existing IEPs on January 26 at 9am in the Helix library. No registration required. In this meeting, we will cover the process and how we support you during the transition from middle school to high school.
If you still have questions after reading through the FAQ document, email email@example.com.All tours and Q&A Sessions will take place in the Helix library. You can park in the large solar parking lot at 4200 Lowell St. and walk past the gym and pool toward the middle of campus. The library is located in building 300, near the lunch tables. Out of respect for the time of those who attend, the program will start right on time and will last one hour. You are welcome to arrive 10-15 minutes early. We will send a confirmation email a few days beforehand.